[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: why 1:5 and max 1000? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 11:05:12 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: why 1:5 and max 1000? (fwd)

THose are empirically derived (i.e. people have built a bunch of coils, and
have found that TC's that are longer and skinnier than 1:5 don't work as
well (whatever that really means)).  The 1000 turn limit is the same,
although it IS more derivable.  As the number of turns increases, you have
to have smaller wire (for the same physical size) and the series resistance
increases, which increases the losses, which makes the coil work more
poorly).

However, don't let arbitrary limits stop you.... Try a 1:10 if you want,
and report back on the performance. All data points are useful!