[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: build a flyback?

On Mon, 04 Oct 1999 17:41:10 -0600 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
> Original Poster: Jan Florian Wagner <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>
<snip>

> The reason is that currently, I found that after the 1.7" to air
> streamers
> there's some additional, very pale, white 3" long streamers (only
> noticed
> them after bringing a fluorescent tube a bit too close... ouch...
> ;o)
> So, I hoped a longer resonant time would let them get more visible?

If you want the pale white streamers to be more plentiful and longer,
then keep the capacitance high and the break rate low. These streamers
seem to appear only on extremely low break rates, where the effect fo
each cycle can be clearly and individually seen.
I produced them with an early coil of mine when the break rate was
reduced to a similar amount, except mine were 6" long and I noticed them
just by observing in complete darkness. I then noticed that they produced
not the slightest sensation if I let my hand contact them. just a pale,
beatiful, tree-like structure of discharge.

I believe your understanding of what is meant by resonance is flawed...
and if you insert a resistor (of sizable value) in the tank circuit, it
won't oscillate. No oscillation/no real power to the secondary. I don;t
know what effect it would have in the extremely low break rates, because
I'm not sure if the circuit really resonates then, anyways, but rather
the thing acts like a big spark induction coil, taking a pulse of
electricity and increasing it by virtue of the windings ratio...
...though others will know better.

Grayson Dietich
www.electrophile.8m-dot-com

Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/dynoget/tagj.