[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer core

i rewound a core of similar size for ballasting my pig...
altho i feel Dr Rez can answer this one much better than I but i will
give you my experiences ...

i ground out the welds and rewound the core with #10 solid copper
insulated ..    after rewelding the I back on I tested it on 120 V with
a current draw of 6 amps ... but here are the details ...

there are 150 turns and there is also an air gap at the center leg to
the I bar of .060 "  ( increased reluctance e.g. more current draw) the
ends ( outside legs) are flush ( minimal gap ) to the I bar.  when the
unit is used with the pig there is a current draw of 20 - 25 amps (
seems to surge a bit ) the unit gets warm but not enuf to damage the
insulation on the windings.  btw  im using 240 on the pig input ..

Scot D