[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC Critical Coupling

  Malcolm, All -

  I agree that critical coupling MAY not produce an optimized coil.

  What is your definition of an optimized coil?

  My difinition of an optimized coil is the coil with the maximum percent
efficiency for the input energy. I show a percent efficiency test in one of
my books. Note that magnifiers may not work because they have additional
parts that cause losses.

  How would you test to determine if the coil is optimaized? You can forget
about the random extra long spark because that doesn't make engineering
sense. The true input and output energies (volts, amps, dt's) of that random
spark, of many sparks, cannot be determined. The one shot test also is
useless, or is it?

  You misunderstood my explanation about raising the coil. If the critically
coupled coil does not have to be raised because it is properly designed at
the start the critically coupled coil MAY produce an optimized coil. Only
building and properly testing a lot of coils can solve this problem.

  John Couture