[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC Criticall Coupling (was Overcoupling?)

  Malcolm -

  Thank you for the reply. To determine the amplitude of the TC energy don't
you need to measure the amplitude of two parameters plus the time period?

  Energy = Volts x Amps x dt

  To determine the overall efficiency you need the input energy and the
output energy.

  % Efficiency = 100 x Output energy/Input energy

  If I understand your reply correctly you measured only one parameter and,
therefore, did not have the coil energy.

  I show how I did this for one of my coils in my Tesla Coil Construction
Guide. I haven't heard of anyone else doing this relatively simple test.
This type of test makes more engineering sense than the random extra long
spark.

 How did you test for "equal amounts of energy are lost" in the Tesla coil
primary and secondary circuits?

 After 100 years and thousands of coils built and tested the coilers still
do not agree on the proper way to do the TC testing. It's about time for
someone to write a book on the proper testing of Tesla coils. Not me.

John Couture