[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Building your own HV transformer

In a message dated 2/28/99 9:31:52 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  to: Bob
>
>  Why not ask your local power company where they have their power
>  transformers repaired?  Track down this source and ask for a core/coil
>  assembly from a junk unit --- perhaps one that overheated or was hit by
>  lightning and is not repairable.  Strip off the windings and now you have
an
>  excellent laminated core to start your new transformer on.  If it's junk
and
>  you discuss your project in detail they might even donate it to you.  If
you
>  get real lucky they might even have one where only the secondary is
damaged.
>  After removing the sec windings you already have a nice primary ready for
>  rewinding.  Spend some time on the telephone -- it never hurts to ask.  it
>  worked for me when I was a few years younger.
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net

Another source for cores for home made high voltage transformers would be
electric golf car battery chargers.  We work on these all the time and usually
find a couple a year that have "bad" transformers - usually meaning shorted
primaries.  These have large open frame cores and are heavy.  The usual power
rating is about 1.2 kw and I think you could build a 1.5 to 2.0 kw high
voltage transformer from them.  Even I have thrown a few of them away. - Hey,
you can't keep everything.

Ed Sonderman