[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

rotary design

----------
From:  Bill Noble [SMTP:william_b_noble-at-email.msn-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, June 30, 1998 1:16 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  rotary design

it seems that there are two kinds of rotary gaps:
type 1 = an insulating disk carries conductive "shorting bars" that cause
the gap to conduct when they pass between two electroded

type 2 - a conducting (in particular HEAT conducting) disk carries
conducting extensions that cause a gap to conduct when they align with a
gap.

There has been a lot of dicsussion of the problems of the first type of gap
and of the need to use special materials because of heat build up - a 1/8
inch tungsten rod held in an insulator has to absorb a lot of heat.

It seems to me from an engineering perspective that the "type 2" gap should
be superior because the heat build up on the electrodes can be conducted
away (not radiated) along the whole disk.  Just mount the disk on a
non-conducting shaft.  With one "gap" per disk, you may need several disks,
but cooling, hence quenching should be measurably superior.

comments?