[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Here comes the SCR based coil

Eddie wrote:
>  Yes it needs some work but the progress so far has been quite
encouraging.
>SCRs may never match a spark gap but it's just one of those things; I
just
>dig SCRs.  My page is going to be quite scrapy to begin with but I
should
>soon have waveforms, picitures, schematics, and the whole shootin
match.
>Check out the beginnings at
>
>http://home.hiwaay-dot-net/~eburwell/

Hey - I checked it out.  The use of the saturable reactor to sharpen up
the current risetime is interesting!  I suppose the gradual rampup of
the primary current (prior to the huge SPIKE) would also allow the
entire SCR die to get into a conductive state.  This way your SCR might
even have a chance of surviving it! :)

Where'd you get the SCR gate trigger transformer? :)

I suppose all coilers need is a supply of primary amp*turns at the
appropriate excitation frequency...

How fast will your circuit run at this point?  What sort of output do
you get?

Since the current pulse is such a step (as opposed to a sinewave)
implies that substantial energy will be at frequencies far away  from
the secondary's self-resonant frequency.  I'm not sure there's anything
which can be done about that in your design.  This may be the limiting
factor in terms of net arc length output!

Thanks for the info!

-Bill