[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Building an RSG - a solution?

In a message dated 08/27/1999 6:11:16 AM Central Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<< Hey Alan

  Your idea with the bench grinder does work.  I have made several from 1/3
H.P. grinders and simply slid the disc on the shaft with a nut.  It does
require some shimming to make it run true, but not a big problem.  The motor
responds well to varible voltage also.

Kevin E.

<snip>

 But I think I actually have the answer, my grinder - a machine made for
 spinning sparking discs! 1/2 HP, 3000 rpm motor (UK has 50Hz mains).
 Heavy duty bearings - made to take off axis pressure. best of all I can
 easily remove the protective covers and wheel leaving shaft washers and
 lock nut - all ready for a disc. I'm fairly sure that I can arrange to have
 at least
 a three  inch clearance between all the (earthed) metal parts and the
 electrodes.
 (Its the B&Q (UK hardware store) L17.99 job (about $27 for readers in the
 colonies)) >>