[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil toroid Size

Hi Bart, All,

	I have never measured the input power of my neon power system (lazy) but I
certainly do have the equipment to see what's there.  I suspect that there
are high current pulses and all kinds of power factor variations going on.
I notice that the variac vibrates with varying currents during sparking so
I suspect the input power is very dynamic.  Probably far beyond any simple
power meter and perhaps even beyond the abilities of my equipment.  What is
needed is to record the current and voltage waveforms over time and them
multiply them piece by piece to come up with a third power waveform over
time.  Then one would have to average that waveform to come up with the
average power.  However, that number may not mean much.  The real
information is probably in the dynamic power vs. time waveform.
Unfortunately, few off us will be able to measure this.  And if it is
really messy, it won't be too meaningful.
	The problem with just a voltmeter and an ammeter is that you don't know
the phase relationship between the two.  In the case of TCs, I bet that
phase is wildly jumping all over the place as the output arcs twirl around.
 I also suspect that ouput arcs start to occur before the first notch
quench so the output arcs are dirctly jerking the charging system around.
	Perhaps I can get some time and give this all a try and post the waveform
data.  Sort of high risk equipment wise (laptop + digital scope + TC = ??)
but it should be interesting.

	Terry Fritz

At 10:04 AM 9/13/98 -0500, you wrote:
>John, All,
>What would be a valid measuring technique(s) for
>measuring input watts under normal TC operation
>(non-controlled sparks)? My coil setup includes a Vrms
>meter and current meter at the control box before the
>transformer. I usually set my input voltage to a given
>value, then increase my inductive ballast until the
>sparks start flowing. When this occurs, I do not see
>variation on the voltage, but the current meter jumps
>about 5 amps back and forth during operation. I placed a
>larger toroid on my TC this weekend (Ed Sonderman
>Dual-Stack style - retuned coil of course) and ran it
>for about 10 minutes. I did not notice any change in
>current as with my single toroid. I deduct from this
>that input watts did not increase with the larger
>toroid. I should note that my output sparks did not
>increase or the output type (multiple streamers). My
>coil apparently wants a larger toroid.
>
>Is it possible that smaller toroids are deep in the em
>field and larger toroids are physically nearer the edge
>of the em field thus changing breakout conditions? I'm
>not sure how large a typical em field is. I'm just
>contemplating the hypothesis.
>
>The input current is the current charging the cap. I
>think measuring current at the sparkgap may be a more
>valid test. Any thoughts anyone?
>
>Bart