[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil toroid Size (the point of no return)

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

snipola!

> BTW, when I sometimes speak of my 42" spark TC, or my 64" spark
> TC, etc, these are actually the same coil.  I just change the cap size,
> toroid, and power input, thereby converting one coil into the other as
> needed for various research requirements.  A given primary/secondary
> coil arrangement can work well over a range of power inputs.
>
> John Freau

  John has just told another sage secret of the coilin' biz.  A super
experienced coiler can force immense sparks out of small system with out any
redesign or rewind!!!!  I think I have wound about 30 secondaries over the
years but have had what amounted to a hundred or more basically different
systems.

 The magnfiiers are a classic example.  We number them based on major
rewinds.....We just hit #13!   But all had letter suffixes, example:  maggey
8B or 11H, etc.  There were that many non-rewound variants which improved the
performance of the basic number!!

So many folks strain like a gear box to design just so-so and are disappointed
at the performance or become dis-illusioned.  This is my only real beef with
all the design programs searching for audiences.  None of the pograms have a Q
factor for the builder!!!  There are a load of epsilon minuses out there a
buildin'.  Most all builders are looking for immense sparks or Tesla nirvana
on first light.  Those who have lit off a few learn to give up the hobby, or
rethink things on the fly.  The latter group usually form the bulk of the
successful coilers.  Many coilers are builders and not experimenters.  Nothing
wrong with that.  Just be prepared to have a beautifully finished system which
might not do what you thought.

 That same "disapointment coil" could easily prodce 3-6 times the spark you
got!!!  (provided you haven't done something really stupid like wind a 6 foot
tall coil on 1.5" pvc with #50 wire).  The key  is the Q factor related to the
builder.  I won't dare attempt to tread into this area!

Richard Hull, TCBOR