[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil toroid Size

  John F -

  I was happy to hear that someone had performed the input watts test.
There are several possibilities why you did not find an increase in the
input watts when you increased the toroid size. One reason could be that if
you were not using controlled sparks the varying streamers would make it
difficult if not impossible to correlate the streamer energy with the input
energy (watt seconds).

  When you say that the larger toroid holds more energy for fewer streamers
do you mean that the toroid is storing energy from more than one bang? As
you know I mentioned this in a past post and there were so many members
that felt this was impossible they almost convinced me that I was wrong.
However, it may be that energy is stored in the electric field surrounding
the coil but not in the toroid.

  Even with controlled sparks the increase in input watts when the toroid
is increased may be hard to detect if the input is varying. A small
increase in the spark length does not require much energy. What were your
input and output conditions when you made your tests?

  John Couture