[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: win tesla vs. JHCTES

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Cabbott Sanders <cabbott-at-cyberis-dot-net>
>
> I happen to love the feel of win TESLA, but im scared of the feeling,
> because i
> dont know how much i should trust it to build my coil. does everything here
> sound right here? i am going to throw this little coil together tonight- the
> secondary is already done, and everything i will just throw together:
>
> Primary Transformer Output Voltage (VAC)
> 15000.0000
> Primary Transformer Rated Current (AMP)
>  0.0600
> Primary Transformer Input Frequency (HZ)
> 60.0000
> Primary Transformer Input Voltage (VAC)
> 120.0000
> Primary Coil Inside Diameter (IN)
> 12.0000
> Primary Coil Wire Diameter (IN)
>  0.2500
> Primary Coil Wire Spacing (IN)
>  1.0000
> Primary Coil Number of Turns
>  9.8000
> Primary Coil Angle From Horizontal Plane (DEGREES)
>  0.0000
> Secondary Wire Diameter (IN)
>  0.0254
> Secondary Coil Total Outside Diameter (IN)
>  6.2500
> Length of Secondary Wire (FT)
> 24.4000
> Secondary Wire Gauge
> 22.0000
> Secondary Turns/Inch
> 37.4016
> Top Load Capacitance (PF)
> 10.1040
> Sphere Radius/Toroid Tube Diameter (IN)
>  4.2500
> Toroid Diameter Tube Center-to-Center (IN)
>  5.5000

Cabbott,

Assuming that WinTes predicted a tank cap of about 10600 pF, everthing
seems to be OK. Using my home-brew spreadsheet, I'd estimate your
operating frequency to be about 200-205 kHz). Now your mileage may vary
a bit depending upon how tightly you wind the secondary and the
elevation of the toroid above the secondary. You could probably go with
closer CTC spacing between primary turns to reduce the overall size of
the primary a bit. I'd also make the toroid a bit larger in outer
diameter, based upon the size of your secondary.

Overall, WinTes certainly looks like it got you "in the ballpark".
And, using similar parameters with JHCTES, I also end up with a similar
operating frequency. Overall, WinTes may be a bit more user friendly.
But John's Tesla Coil Handbook has much technical/design information...

-- Bert --