[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

60" Discharge spark with Resitor.

I did an experement today with several different value resistors in the
circuit between the neon transformer and the spark gap.  I used only one
resistor in the circuit.  I tried 3 different resistors values.  Each run
was 2 minutes long.

Transformer =    15K/50ma unpotted neon in HV oil.
Gap Type =       8-at-.025
Total gap =     .200
Primary cap =   .0064 uf
cap type =       rolled poly HV oil filled
Choke value =    none
Max output =     22" to 60"
Primary coil =   Flat wound .250 copper tubing .250 spacing 16 turns tap at
turn 12.
Secondary coil = 960 turns of #24 wire on 4" pvc pipe.
Topload =        6" copper sphere

No resistor the output is 22" long with very white hot discharge sparks.

200 ohms 25 watts wire wound, output is 24" long, purple sparks.

300 ohms 50 watts wire wound, output is 27" long, light purple sparks.

430 ohms 20 watts wire wound, output is 27" long, very light purple sparks.

Something very strange happened while running the coil with the 430 ohms
resistor.  I had a spark come off of the 6" sphere like it was trying to
strike a target across the room 12' away.  The spark held its shape and hung
in the air for about 30 seconds.  The spark started out about 24" long and
grew in length about an 1" longer per second. It was about 60" long for
several seconds.  I usually get lots of sparks off of the sphere all at the
same time but when the extra long sparks was forming all other sparks
reduced in length and quantity. It was like the extra long spark was pulling
power from all the other sparks. The 60" spark never struck a target.  It
just held its shape and hung there making a frying sound.  One long
continious purple spark.  The spark never moved or changed its shape.  It
was like the spark was following a conductive path in the air.  Suddenly the
60" long spark disappeared and about 10 to 12 branching sparks appeared all
around the 6" copper sphere.

Gary Weaver