[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Positive VS negative streamer

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>
> At 03:51 PM 10/24/98 -0600, you wrote:
> >Original Poster: "B**2" <bensonbd-at-erols-dot-com>
> >
> >Hi All,
> >    Found the following information.  Seems to relate to recent
measurements.

> >Quote:
> >
> >"EXPERIMENTS CONDUCTED IN THE LABORATORY
> >
> >    To understand the basic mechanism by which the positive corona sheath
> >is neutralized by the return stroke, we conducted the following experiments
> >in the laboratory.  The potential of the central wire of a coaxial
> >cylindrical system was raised to a very high level by applying a positive
> >voltage impulse.  This pulse led to the generation of positive space charge
>
> -----------------  snip
>
>   It should be noted that the Tesla coil uses a high frequency dampened
> sine wave not a voltage impulse. So how does this post apply to Tesla coil
> operation?
>
>   John Couture

John,

This could apply to expalin a number of arc channel re-enforcement models.
I have
shown beyond all doubt that the air around a coil is actually charged to a DC
level (negative)  even though the system produces RF and is powered by a 60 AC
source.  I have also shown that this charge can't be controlled or reversed
using
DC powered system in most any configuration either.

Richard Hull