[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ions n' arcs

Richard, (all)
Excellent!!!!!  This was most interesting and informative. There's really a
lot of information here which I think coilers "coils" can benefit from if
they take note. I've been playing with PSpice simulations lately (thanks to
Terry Fritz enlightenment) and have been having a great time. These
simulations provide a unique look at theoretical coil operation. One can
view voltages AND currents in any part of the system for whatever time
interval favored. However, one cannot say because my voltage and current is
at x potential that my output will be x length. Only real world experience
will define those approximations. But that's ok because, although we know
lengths from experience, the simulations can help define parameters, and if
simulating real world coils, this data along with observational data can be
very useful. What is missing from the simulation is the arc channel
processes you so well defined. I do believe ionic reactions under such
conditions can be simulated, but still, arc length is out of the realm of a
simulation until conditional ionic reactions can be defined (may not happen
any time soon).

>From the vast amount of variables included in the arc channel as well as
what produces it and gives it strength, it should be somewhat satisfying
that in order to obtain growing singular arcs, it is absolutely necessary to
generate an efield with a few kilovolts, with a good deal of current, and a
variable break enabling a cap to release energy at a point when the average
energy causes an arc channel to sustain and grow.

I hate to say it, but coils with static style breaks will probably never be
able to hit this mode of operation. Variable breaks will be needed to tune
the ionization channel which means small neon powered coils will not last
under such conditions. It appears input transformers must be of the pig,
potential, etc.. size and ruggedness to supply such currents, and coils will
need to be relatively large to handle the beat kicked into it among other
reasons. I wonder if coils such as Electrum have considered these
possibilities (probably). It is becoming clearer by the moment that it is
desirable to design to the type of output desired. There was a time when we
would design to cause arcs. Now maybe we can design to the type and length
of arc desired. I doubt that many have designed their coils from the arc
inward. But it does make sense.

Although you have listed the major arc channel components, I have not seen
the specs on a coil that would cause extended ionization and arc growth. Do
you or anyone else have data on such a system including time stamps for
start of channel and end of channel mean times? Would be very helpful and
interesting to simulate and see what type of currents and potentials come
about.

Anyway Richard, thanks for sharing this information,
Bart