[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ballasting ..... Again

At 16:37 23/10/98 -0600, Greg Leyh wrote:

>Gee, if you're going through all the trouble of
>winding your own (50Hz!) transformer, why don't
>you include a magnetic shunt on the transformer
>core itself to provide the ballasting function?

I can never quite work-out if Greg is having a go at me or not ;-))

Actually, this ain't so silly, nor impossible !!!!

The unit is twin C-cored & I could mount the two C-cores so I could vary
the distance between them, effectively current limiting the transformer.
But then again, how about we just look at limiting the beast ;-)

For those interested, I have actually finished today & you can see the
product of my labours at:

	http://www.cobweb-dot-com.au/~dkfinnis/images/tf_rebuild_complete2.jpg

Or, if you want to see the complete saga go to my website & see what I
started with.

While Greg thinks I'm mad .... and he is in good company, there were two
reasons for doing this (well maybe 3):

1.  Can't buy a surplus PP in Adelaide
2.  Wife won't let me buy a PP (now, no-one tell her what this transformer
effectively is !!!)
3.  This *IS* a hobby, and there ain't quite nothin' like doing it yourself
!!!!

Cheers,

Mark

http://www.cobweb-dot-com.au/~dkfinnis