[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Direct current coils

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Paul R. Eitson" <xyme2-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> My last post clerified my error in voltage. At 4000rpm it is a  400 amp
> 30v DC
> generator...
> I hope to use a steam turbine to turn it.  I also need plans for a very
small
> coil for my sons science fair project.
>
>    ( I am a total novice in coil design) Must you convert to AC ?

Paul,

If your generator was capable of providing 6-12 kVDC you could use that
directly, but your's produces only 30 volts at full output.  You need to
step this up and the only practical way is to covert it to AC and step
up through a transformer.  Once you have obtained 6-12 kV in alternating
current you don't have to rectify back to DC, you can build a standard
design AC powered Tesla coil.

Sounds like you might want to try to find someone with Tesla coil
experience that lives nearby to help you out in person.  All this HV
stuff can be dangerous, especially at the relatively high power levels
you are proposing.  You might want to post your location and see if
anyone on The List lives in your area.

Good luck and be careful!

Robert W. Stephens