[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Moderator's note

Hi All,

	As some of you already know, I have been tightening up on the moderation
of posts lately.  Things had gotten a little out of hand recently and it is
time to "guide" the list a little more than usual.  The following areas are
the most troublesome as of late:

Off topic posts:  The goal of this mailing list is to provide information
on the subject of Tesla Coils (TC's).   This information includes
construction, operation, measurement, understanding,  and uses for the TC.
The Tesla Magnifier, or three coil system, is included as well.  Other
subjects occasionally come up that contribute to these and are passed.
However, please keep your posts aimed at the subject of Tesla coils only.
	UFOs, free energy, death rays, etc. are rejected automatically.  Also,
"ideas" that are far from being practical like "how far would my streamers
go on the moon?" may be interesting, but we just don't have the bandwidth
to go there.  Please keep on the practical side of coiling here.

Posts not for the whole group:  There are 500+ members on this list.
Please be sure your posts keep this in mind.  Information or responses that
are not of general interest should be sent directly to those that requested
it and not to the entire list.

Posts that don't add to the discussion:  Responses that only contain things
like - "Yes, I agree", "Good point", "OK", etc.  don't add to the
discussion and only eat up everyone's time.

Post that don't make sense :-)  Please proof read you posts and make sure
that someone else who is reading it will understand what you are talking
about.  You may have been working on something all night and you know what
you mean, but be sure that the casual reader will understand it too.

Accuracy:  I don't normally judge posts on accuracy.  However, obvious
errors generate a number of corrections that waste space.  So I will try to
limit obvious errors if I see them.  I also try to fix obvious spelling and
grammar mistakes if they really stand out.  However, do read you posts and
try to make them readable by the 500 people you are sending them to.  Also,
posts that seem really "wrong", I will probably question before I post them.

Snip unneeded parts of the old posts:  It is easy to just hit reply and add
you comments.  However, do try to go back and snip what is not needed.
Otherwise posts grow and grow...

File attachments:  We cannot allow any file attachments at this time.  If
you have a picture or some other large data, offer to send it to interested
people directly or post it to a web page and give the address.

Profanity:  Since we are not discussing religion or politics, profanity
really has no use here.  The real problem is once one person uses it, then
EVERYBODY starts in and...  Profanity is almost always snipped.  Also be
aware that there are many people from many backgrounds on the list.  "Off
color" comments that don't contribute are snipped as well.  They also
generate reposes that are off subject.

Beginners, intermediate, advanced... :  This list addresses all skill and
knowledge levels from the beginner to the advanced experts.  Please be
tolerant of those that may ask simple questions.  They are asking because
they really need to know.  We were all there once...

Flames:  Personal attacks, and other "bad spirited" posts are automatically
rejected.

As always, there are grey areas that are left up to the good judgement and
wise eye of the moderator.  I am always open to ideas and suggestions and
find them very helpful in this "interesting" sport of moderation.

	Terry
	terryf-at-verinet-dot-com