[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Terry's GM HEI Coil Update.

I think there might be a modicum of misunderstanding here....

> Original Poster: "James" <elgersmad-at-email.msn-dot-com>
>
> >Original Poster: "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
> >

> >> Original Poster: "James" <elgersmad-at-email.msn-dot-com>
> >>
> >>     The only thing you would want to stack primaries for is increasing
> the
> >> primary's frequency responce, because you can almost double the resonant
> >> frequency.
> >
> >You have checked this in practice of course?
> >
>     Yes, I have a tape wound toroidal core, with six independant
> primaries
> of the same turns ratio in respect to the secondary.  I could run 1 MHz with
> all of the primaries in parallel with less than a 23% loss due to the core.
> The turns ratio was 1 to 5 point something.  I still have it mounted to a
> perfboard, it's almost six inches in diameter, and wound on what was a
> current transformer toroid.  1.67 mH, 1.78 mH, 1.62 mH, 1.62 mH, 1.59 mH,
> 2.13 mH, and 57.5 mH.   I guess that the tension on the windings can make a
> big difference in the primary windings, because there are so many, and I
> don't know how I wound up with 2.13 mH on that thing, because I counted the
> windings for each primary, unless that could be the middle of the 57.5 mH
> wound over it, and a little mutual inductance, and capacitance giving me a
> false reading at that point.

The original poster was talking about stacking ignition coils wasn't
he?  If you wind parallel windings with the same number of turns
around a common core, the inductance shouldn't change. All you are
really doing is decreasing the overall winding resistance. However,
that is a different topic from the ignition coil thing.

Malcolm