[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Wood

Hi Dc,

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "D.C. Cox" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
>
> to: Bart
>
> Mount your electrodes on some delrin rod stock so they are elevated 3-4
> inches above the wood.  Most all wood contains 3% moisture and will not
> withstand HV creepage effects.  Worse yet, they slowly drain away your
> performance sometimes without you being aware of the problem until it
> starts smoking.
>
> DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

This is basically what I did. I believe the material I used was delrin
stock. It is a 5" x 4" square (1/2" thick). One electrode at the top, other
at the bottom. It is incredible the difference this made. I must have had
the "slow drain" going on. I think this was happening on my old gap as
well. The difference now is the gap is louder, crisper, and whiter. I
cannot check the output yet because of a little problem. My capacitor SG
(1/2", loop end design) is popping at very moderate levels, almost
constantly. I powered down and called it a night (close neighbor was home).
I think my problem is 60hz resonance similar to Ed Sondermans a while back.
I've been running without series resistance with my variac ballast. I think
the wood was acting resistively until it finally carbon tracked through.
So, I'm going to try a little R with variac and see what I get.

Bart