[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Ignition coil measurements

James,

<big snip>
> Unless you can buy
> powdered iron by itself, and mix it with fiberglass resin to a point
> that
> you can kneed it like bread dough, before you add the hardener I doubt
> it.
> You would need to have plaster, or concrete{No Sand} molds of your
> fittings,
<big snip>

I recently made a reasonably good experimental inductor/transformer by;

1 getting iron powder/dust/turnings from the floor of a lorry engine
re-boring
   workshop, they thought I was 'eccentric' to want to sweep up their
rubbish.
   (free)

2 wash the iron in petrol/gasoline. (cheap)

3 mix the iron with polyurethane varnish and fill a 1" pvc pipe.(cheap)

The inside will take eons to set/dry but it doesn't matter as the ends
soon dry.

My next attempt will be a closed loop transformer core using the same
materials but in larger diameter pipes with elbow joints to form a
square.

I estimate the saturation flux density at around 0.5 Tesla (5,000 Gauss)
with surprisingly good 'Q'.

One core I let set in a strong axial magnetic field to try
'grain-orientation',
it didn't seem to have any significant benefit.

This seems a reasonable way to make large cheap h.f. cores.

... Sulaiman