[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: vacum tubes

Original Poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

<< Original Poster: BAREN01-at-aol-dot-com

> I was just wondering if there are any major disadvantages to using a vacuum
> tubes for spark gaps?  If so, what?  If not, why dosn't
everyone use them?

BARE,

I hate to put it this way, but the major disadvantage is they don't work.
The TC switch has to be capable of handling heavy bi-directional current,
in other words, a low impedance device.

A hydrogen thyratron tube can be used, but requires special circuitry.
This technique has been explored by Richard Hull of the TCBOR.  I
plan to try it too, but I've been too lazy, and busy making spun aluminum
toroids.

John Freau
Other tubes are available that have high current capacity but their
frequency response may be a limitation, in order to get into tubes that
have both high frequency response and high current you get into very high
bucks.Bryan Kaufman