[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Beginner's Tesla coil -First Light!

  Today's tests suggest that it will still be a nice performer even
>at less than destructive output levels.
>
>The science goes on....
>
>	Terry

 Amazing work, Terry!!! I never thought you could get those coils to put
out this much power! I designed a coil driver some years ago that used a
neon lamp, an SCR and a small capacitor to discharge a full 250 volts,
3uF onto the primary of an ignition coil. Power was limited by a
resistor and a diode. It would take a completely inexperienced beginner
some 30 minutes to build it: Just soldering half a dozen parts on a
board and it's done!
 I got 3 - 4CM long sparks from a standard coil with it. No problems
whatsoever, runs reliably for several hours (if you cool use a heatsink
on the resistor) and has never given me any problems (besides blowing
the SCR over 20 times before I got it to work the first time).
 The frequency can be adjusted by a linear potentiometer and brake rates
from 1 to several hundred BPS can be obtained (at the higher break rates
it's more like an ark than multiple sparks). It can set fire to things
and light neons some distance away.
 But 3 - 4 cm is nothing compared to your unbelievable 25cm sparks!
Terry, you got to teach me how to do this!!! SOO COOL!!!
 Anyway, I'm just writing this post to tell you that by wiring a second
coil in anti-parallel to the first one, I can get twice the size of
sparks (7cm is my record). I tried adjusting the number of caps but I
think it needs a bigger resistor. Perhaps a 100 Watts lightbulb and some
10uF caps would do better?
 Anyway, why don't you try to wire a second coil to the circuit? Maybe
you could get half a meter long sparks from it!!!

 Keep up the good work!
BTW, I have pictures and circuit diagrams from my dual ignition coil
driver, if anyone is interested…

 Sam Barros.