[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First Coil Works --Tuning Help

Thanks alot for everyones' help. I've learned quite a bit now about how
these coils get in tune, and what to look for. With your help, I've
calculated some data.

My primary capacitance is very close to 0.0123 uf . Now, according to
several programs I've run, my tank circiut will need a capacitance of about
0.0212 uf. Soon I'll add another cap to the tank. (salt water,
unfortunately.)
My secondary resonates at 295kHz unloaded. But I've yet to find a program
to give me an idea on where to tap out the 13 turn priamary to achieve
resonance. Any Ideas? I have a 4.5" by 22" toroid which should lower this
frequency considerably.
The space between the edge of each turn is 7/16 of an inch. This makes the
physical size of the coil rather large. I'm wondering if this might
adversely effect performance.
I'm also going to build a nice multiple air cooled gap. I have eleven
polished copper electrodes at my disposal which makes ten gaps. I'll go
with Ed's advice for gap spacing.
Finally, I'll build some chokes and place a safety gap across the noens. So
far I haven't had to pay a cent for my transformers. I'll try to keep it
like that for a while.

Thanks alot to everyone one the list who helps us novices,

Adam
p.s. Chris mentioned using 2L soda bottle caps. This sounds like a pretty
good idea. Does anyone know how they handle the RF?