[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ok.. where am I going wrong

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Coiler" <mycroft-at-access1-dot-net>
>
> At one point, I measured a drop of 17V. This works
> out to roughly 42 amps. This cannot be. I have 30A fast blow fuses in the
> line
> and I suspect that they would fry in short order at almost 50% overload.
> Therefor, there must be someting I am missing. I assume it is related to the
> fact that this is AC.
> Could someone help me out here? Tell me where I goofed.

    You may actually be drawing 42A without the fuse blowing, the way fuses
are
specified is that the rated current is the current at which they must NOT
blow,
they don't actually HAVE to blow until you reach 140% of rated load, and even
then that can take several minutes, or e.g. I was using my pig at 60A
(measured
with a moving iron meter, so i'm sure it's correct) while on a 32A fuse, the
fuse did blow eventually, but it took over a minute.

--
*Stephen Rodway             Legion-at-Bigfoot-dot-com *  Support your local *
*Tel. 01761 300615                             *     coroner....     *