[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Cap Material?

Hi all,

I have been following the capacitor posts with great interest. I am as always
on the lookout for new ideas. The other day (it was my momīs birthday) I
unwrapped some flowers out of their plastic wrap. I was wondering if anyone
knows what this plastic warp is made of. It is completely clear, hard to the
touch (as opposed to PE which feels soft and waxy), if you crease it sharply a
white line appears along the crease. It surface is pretty hard and not so
easily scratched. If you pull it, it hardly streches (and is very hard to do,
unlike PE). It also "crackles" when crumpled (also unlike PE). The material is
very hard to ignite. It shrivels up and melts into a pool before you can get
it to ignite (which takes very long....unlike PE, too). Once it burns, it
burns with a pale blue flame, with hardly any smoke or carbon particles. The
plastic itself has no smell at all. When it burns there is a distinct smell of
burning plastic (I canīt describe it better, but it doesnīt smell like
paraffin---> like burning PE). The material is not attacked by any kind of
solvent or glue and nothing sticks to it (Which leads me to believe it is not
PVC based). The material is approx. 3 mils thick.
I havenīt gotten around to hv destruction testing yet.

Anyone got any ideas what this is?

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard