[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: streamer hit

I have never insulated myself when touching the streamers.  I have touched
streamers up to 45" long at 1500 watts using glass plate caps which loose
lots of power.  Sparks usually jump off of me to other places like the work
bench and tool box and through the bottom of my shoes to the floor. The 45"
sparks are long, thin, purple, low amps.  But by changing the glass plate
cap to a rolled poly with HV oil the power output goes up.  The discharge
sparks are still 45" long but very white hot.  I touched a 38" white hot
spark once using rolled poly caps and that was a big mistake.  Knocked the
heck out me.  Now that I have rolled poly caps the longest spark that I like
to touch is 24" at 750 watts uninsulated.  The length of the spark has
nothing to do with it.  Its the amps that hurts.  If you have a good TC with
low losses then you won't be able to touch the long white hot streamers
without some pain.

Gary Weaver