[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Equations?

In a message dated 11/11/98 1:10:08 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< Does anyone know an equation to figure out how much current a
 transformer will draw from mains. I am wondering if there is such an
 equation because I do not choose to trip my breaker a hundred times
 trying to figure out the current coming in to the transformer.

 Thanks,
 Chris

Chris,

If you have say a 12 kv 30 ma transformer, it would be capable of delivering
360 watts.  If the transformer was 100% efficient and was power factor
corrected, it would draw  (I=P/E)  360w / 120 v = 3.0 amps from a 120 volt ac
source.  In reality, it will probably draw 5 or 6 amps which you should be
able to get down to about 4 amps with the proper power factor correction
capacitor  This is connected in parallel with the transformer primary (and
mounted right near the transformer terminals.

Ed Sonderman