[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: streamer hit

At 04:04 PM 11/11/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Tesla List wrote:
>

>Or, get some of the liquid crystal stuff that changes color with
>temperature and cast that into your gelatine block.
>
>The coolest thing would be to sort of combine these techniques.
>
>Step 1: Make a mold of your arm using plaster, or some convenient
>substance (alginate?)
>
>Step 2: Cast an arm of conductive gelatine
>
>Or, more sophisticated, make a clear female casting of your arm in
>acrylic or polyester resin (probably using some sort of lost wax
>technique, because your arm would cook in the curing block of resin)
>
>Then, fill the cavity with a saline solution. If you could find a dye
>that is field or current sensitive, even better.
>
>You could also fill the cavity with fine fibers in suspension, and the
>fibers will align with the local electric field.
>
>Even more elaborate, you could cast an entire body model. (Note: if you
>use plaster of paris, don't cast the entire body of the live model at
>once, or you'll cook them... It gets really hot). For proper realism,
>you need to cast the person standing up (or at least mostly vertical,
>leaning on a board, typically), or the body will be weirdly misshapen.
>
>I note that this has all been done by researchers into RF safety,
>although, I doubt much work has been done at tens or hundreds of kHz.
>Most of the work is at 13 and 27 MHz, and at .915 and 2.45 GHz, which
>are industrially useful.
>--
>Jim Lux                               Jet Propulsion Laboratory
>ofc: 818/354-2075     114-B16         Mail Stop 161-213
>lab: 818/354-2954     161-110         4800 Oak Grove Drive
>fax: 818/393-6875                     Pasadena CA 91109

I just tried LEDs in a jar of salt water.  The LEDs would not light up.
However, I think the current was not high enough.  I probably should use
small NE2 style neon bulbs for greater sensitivity.  If the current is
spread uniformaly throughtout the water column, the current to each bulb
may be very low.  Or the water could be acting as sort of a faraday cage
although that "should" not be the case.
	Perhaps there is some simple indicator that could be added to the water to
sense the current flow?  Of course if one had a really big coil you could
use a snowman and just see were the ice melts... perhaps frozen salt water
would be good to try?

BTW - If anyone it trying stuff like this, be very careful of the water
around high voltage.  I, of course, was far back from this experiment!

	Terry