[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: streamer hit

In <3.0.6.32.19981111124609.0090bb80-at-verinet-dot-com>, on 11/11/98
   at 12:46 PM, Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> said:

>> I personally don't know what 80+ sparks feel like hitting your hand.
>>But I can say that I have held my hand up to my coil and it gives off
>>~3 foot streamers. It isn't really painful but it makes your muscles
>>contract and feel really weird. By the way if anyone is wondering I did
>>have myself insulated from ground and drew the sparks to me by using a
>>12 inch copper pipe.
>>
>>Chris
>>
>I always wanted to do this experiment but never got around to it.  I
>would like to take a thick piece of meat, like ham, and put neon
>bulbs or leds inside it with their leads along the current path.
>This should indicate the currents in the interior of the meat (I
>would make little holes so I could see the lights).  This would
>indicate if the Tesla coil currents flow on the outside of ones body
>or uniformaly throughout the body.  Perhaps someone already has done
>this or knows the answer??

>	Terry

If the meat was still alive, it would probably let out a yell. Cause
it hurts, skin effect or not. I haven't taken a 80" hit yet, thank
God, and I hope I never do. That little 3" caused two joints to ache
for about a couple hours. Felt like my finger had been smashed. That
was with 360watts and I now stay away from my coil running 3kw.

But I have taken several hits with a wrench or piece of pipe at 1.5kw
and never felt a thing as long as I didn't let a charge build up on
me. Just go in fast with the metal piece and don't be timid about it.
That way you don't get charged as quickly.

But as I suggested a couple months ago, don't try this. There's too
much risk and a dead coiler isn't any fun to be around.

Alan Jones
ajones-at-wavegate-dot-com
ICQ #21057220