[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Nitrogen laser power level and gas mixture

>Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 20:42:10 -0700
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Nitrogen laser power level and gas mixture
>From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>
>Original Poster: Bryan Kaufman <bryan-at-apexrad-dot-com>
>
>Doug
>
>There were several posts on this some time back, I'm still trying to
>catch up on the older posts, There seems to be a wealth of information.
>
>Seems to me, that according to some of those in the know, that air will
>work if the voltage is high enough but liq N2 is better,

 I'm pretty sure you mean nitrogen gas, not liquid. The LN2 will expand
980times it's original volume when brought to room temperature. If the
extreme cold doesn't shatter your lenses and mirrors (and forms a layer
of ice on top), this expansion will!

 it's pretty
>cheap too, the dewar flask will be the expense. I wonder if you can use
>a medical oxygen concentrator to extract the O2 and just keep the N2?
>
>Bryan Kaufman

 I got my Dewar Flask, 1.5L, keeps cryos for a week of use or 15 days
static for 400 dollars, but you can get them cheaper if you don't want a
long storage time. All hospitals/laboratories will have a large reserve
of liquid nitrogen for keeping organic tissue at -196C, from which
they’ll gladly refill your flask. You won't find liquid O2 though: It
causes flammable things to deflagrate (burn real fast) and can cause
explosions. Liquid O2 can be obtained from LN2 by condensing air. Hope
this helps, but if you want a nitrogen laser, I suggest you just get a
nitrogen cylinder and use that gas to fill the chamber. It's easier and
cheaper. Also reduces contamination...

 Sam Barros (typing with his left hand. Damn it takes long!).