[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Unusual capacitor dielectrics

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Steven Ivy <adder_black_the-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
> Thanks for the info Bert.
> I guess that must be part of the story I heard about, not megajoules,
> but big never the less. Shame their cap didn't work out. I have
> sources that indicate that work in that area is still on going and
> funny thing about reports like the one you sited it seems like the
> negative results reports always seem to somehow get released to the
> public but good results just get a new classification as secret and we
> never get to hear anything about them : (
>
> Per your posted info and the concensus of the group water as a
> dielectric is far too fragile to use in a home built capacitor and ice
> is just not worth the trouble.
>
> The one complaint I have about that chart you posted is that they it
> compare ultrapure H2O to common ionized water ice I am not sure if it
> would make that much difference but I suspect that de-gassing and
> de-ionization may be just as important to ice as it is for liquid H2O.
> The advantage of ice being that once crystalized water would not be
> nearly as subject to gas or ionization damage.
>
> Since you seem to have access to some fairly obscure data I was
> wondering if there are any other liquids, preferably non-polar
> liquids, that have dielectric constants better than or equal to good
> plastics? It seems like immersing a bunch of parallel plates into a
> decent liquid dielectric would be a pretty easy way to make a
> capacitor. I have heard of people placing a common aircore variable RF
> capacitor in oil to make high voltage variable capacitor but they
> failed to mention what effect the oil had on the value of the
> capacitance I would think that the value would most likely go up quite
> a bit. How about wax potting not just as the final step but as a way
> to introduce a dielectric?

Oil has dielectric constant of 2-3, so that air insulated cap would wind
up being twice the capacitance.  As for other liquids that have higher
epsilon: castor oil, askarels (PCB's).

I have some data tabulated on:
http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~jimlux/hv/insulliq.htm

--
Jim Lux                               Jet Propulsion Laboratory
ofc: 818/354-2075     114-B16         Mail Stop 161-213