[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Laser Triggered Spark Gap

Barry and all,

Thanks for the valuable information.  I can appreciate how high pressure
triggered spark gaps (TSG) will perform much better.  But if the TSG is
firing hundreds of times a second, how do you get rid of the heat?  One
would have to water cool the pressurized container, and have a continuous
flow of high pressure gas to exhaust the heat and vaporized metal, I would
think.  I suppose an air compressor could be used.  (And the pressurized
TSG exhaust might be useful for light welding??)

As far as a wider spaced gap being more lossy, I can appreciate that also.
But is the loss between a 0.8 inch vs 0.4 inch total gap length, for
example, really that significant?

Imagine a Richard Quick style gap.  Suppose it works great with 6 gaps but
can't fire with 7 gaps, all equally spaced.  If the 7th gap is a TSG, the
extra loss introduced by that one more gap shouldn't by very significant.
Am I missing something?

--Steve

> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Laser Triggered Spark Gap
> Date: Wednesday, November 04, 1998 6:45 AM
>
> Original Poster: "B**2" <bensonbd-at-erols-dot-com>
>
> Hi Steve,
>     Making the gap so far apart that it won't naturally break down and
> triggering it has little advantage as the longer spark is very lossy.
The