[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Wire Insulation Thickness

----------
From:  Edward J. Wingate [SMTP:ewing7-at-frontiernet-dot-net]
Sent:  Wednesday, May 27, 1998 4:06 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Wire Insulation Thickness

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

Bert,

AMEN!! There are untold numbers of us out here running high power coils
( 10+ KW and 10 foot plus sparks ), both magnifier extra coils and
classic coils with plain old tight wound enameled magnet wire without
mishap! Tuning IS everything! If a system is designed and tuned
properly, there is no need to space wind magnet wire, with the possible
exception of really large diameter coils ( 2 feet and up) and most folks
usually wind  those with some type of stranded or solid PVC or vinyl
insulated wire anyway. As far as coatings go, the ONLY reason I shellac
the secondary windings on any of my coils is to keep the wire from
slipping on the form. Period. I have taken out magnifier extra coils
myself by errant sparks from a toroid that was too small slapping the
windings, but never from turn to turn arcing or racing sparks. Interturn
arcing and racing sparks are a sure sign of overcoupling (most likely)
or some other tuning related problem, too low a break rate on a rotary
gap, etc. etc. Tuning at low power until the coil shows no signs of
misbehaving and gradually working up to maximum power input is always
the hot ticket to avoid the heartbreak of watching your freshly wound
secondary self destruct with a flash of light and a cloud of smoke!

Safe and smoke free coiling to all,

Ed Wingate