[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tesla Coil Optimun Parameters (was Wire length,resonance, Q)

----------
From:  John H. Couture [SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent:  Wednesday, May 27, 1998 1:15 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Tesla Coil Optimun Parameters (was Wire length,resonance, Q)

  Jim, All -

  Determining the optimun parameters for a Tesla coil is certainly a
challenge. But why do it the hard (or impossible) way? The Corum's in their
writings have shown the fourth order differential equations for Tesla coils.
But this is a long way from ending up with a spark length output.

  Tesla coil design is empirical meaning both theory and test results are
required. We have the theoretical equations and can find the empirical
equations based on tests. Why not set up some typical TC input parameters
and do the calcs that will end up with a spark length. When the coils are
built and tested if the spark length is different then change the empirical
equations and calcs.

  All complex engineering projects are done this way, including the design
of locomotives, steamships, aircraft, space shuttles, etc. If enough coilers
work on this type of empirical design program (manual or computer) and build
and test enough coils we would soon have an acceptible method of determining
the TC optimun parameters. Computer programs like the JHCTES are a start in
this direction.

  John Couture