[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 8KV tank supply from microwave oven components (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 21:20:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: 8KV tank supply from microwave oven components (fwd)

"I used to have to use batteries for upper sections so always wondered how easy
it would be to make HV insulated xfmrs."

        Had an exciting experience from that practice almost 50
years ago.  Was rectifying a small NST to run a hot-cathode X-ray
tube.  Had all the lights out so I could see image on the crummy
fluoroscope I was using (front face of a 5BP1 CRT).  Just
as everything was working pretty well a spark or something set
off the hydrogen/oxygen mixture in the 2V 20 AH storage cell I
was using to heat the filament of the 3C24 rectifier.  Having
a light polystyrene case, the whole thing blew case and acid
all over the garage and my folks car, not only on the HVAC
leads.  Made enough noise that my folks came running out to
see if someone had shot me or something.  (It was late at night.)
Anyhow, got the acid cleaned off the car, but the bench top
and my clothes were never the same again.  I would think that
sealed batteries would work just fine, though.  Have used
D cells to light the filaments of 1B3's for low-current experiments.

Ed