[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pole pig HV wires (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 08:30:57 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Pole pig HV wires (fwd)

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Pole pig HV wires (fwd)
> Date: Monday, May 04, 1998 9:05 PM

Yep.. Although the thickness of the insulation has an effect, in that
thicker insulation lets the wire get hotter, so the ampacity should
probably be derated. You could calculate the heating from the series
resistance, the thermal resistance of polyethylene (what they use in neon
sign wire), and make sure that the wire doesn't get hot enough to soften
the PE.

You could also just try it and see if it works.

My GTO-15 neon sign wire is #14, .00254 ohms/ft, or at 1 amp, a whole 2.5
mW being dissipated in a foot. I doubt that it gets very warm.

You could also use RG-213 (or RG-8) which has the advantage of having a
grounded outer shield which might help with radiated EMI from the TC
getting back to the transformer, etc.