[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Hacking the AWG WIRE TABLE (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 08:26:11 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Hacking the AWG WIRE TABLE (fwd)

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re:  Hacking the AWG WIRE TABLE (fwd)
> Date: Monday, May 04, 1998 8:50 PM

MWS makes ultra fine magnet wire (used in magnetic recording heads and
meter movements, and those incredibly tiny surface mount inductors) as fine
as #60. The spec is by resistance, not by diameter, though. This might give
a clue as to how they "draw" the stuff, they might use varying tension to
change the amount of stretching, which would change the diameter, and hence
the resistance.

#60  is .000309 inches in diameter (with single build insulation it is
.000365 diameter) It has 108.41 ohms per foot resistance.

I note that another application of the really fine wire is in making Litz
wire. MWS uses all the gauges from 42 to 48 in their catalog Litz wire.
Imagine, 175 strands of #48 to produce an effective wire of #25.5. All of
.021 inches in diameter.