[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Graphite spark gaps (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 05:20:20 GMT
From: Jim Fosse <jim.fosse-at-bjt-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Graphite spark gaps (fwd)

>From: Homer Lea <HomerLea-at-aol-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Graphite spark gaps (fwd)
>
>In a message dated 4/29/98 8:00:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>writes:
>
>>  Graphite is a terrible choice. It is
>>  designed to ablate, it has more resistance than copper etc and you
>Too bad. I have lots of large graphite motor brushes with copper leads
>attached. I was going to try them.

Jim,
	Don't toss them. the next time a neon dies, depot it, wind 12
or 15 turns of A.W.G 10 wire in place of each secondary. Connect these
new secondaries in parallel and connect each lead to a graphite brush.
With a little bit of mechanical work (chop sticks work well as a
visualation aid) you can get the graphite electrodes to heat 1.25" Cu
pipe to soldering temps. in seconds.

	jim fosse