[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Raise the secondary....because! (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 06:53:43 -0500
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Raise the secondary....because! (fwd)

Terry,

Thanks for posting these very interesting waveforms Terry!

Any thoughts on what might actually be occuring in the secondary current
waveform at about 80 uSec after the gap fires in q3.jpg (high-amplitude
current spikes that look like they're lasting about 2-3 uSec)? This
"painful quench" certainly does look a little strange.

It's also very interesting about that "missing" zero-crossing spike at
the first secondary maximum; not enough energy to reignite the gap
apparently. However, even though we have the additional deionizing time
from the "missed" firing, the gap still poorly quenches. Very
interesting, indeed!

-- Bert --

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]
<SNIP>
> Picture  q3.jpg
>         This shows the coils performance when the quench fails.  Note that
> the output voltage is somewhat higher as modeling predicts.  The gap is
> firing 17 times instead of 5 as in the good quench case.  Obviously wasting
> much power!
>         It is interesting to note the current crossing spike is absent where
> the first notch should occur.  Also note the "painful" final burst of the
> spark gap.  These are typical of quench failure.
<SNIP>