[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Best sparks

-----Original Message-----
From: terryf-at-verinet-dot-com <terryf-at-verinet-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Wednesday, July 01, 1998 12:58 PM
Subject: Re: Best sparks

Hi Kevin,

        This is very interesting and pretty much what I was expecting.  The
rough edges and such on the foil sphere probably cause small points that
tend to produce many small areas of discharge.  However, the foil should
give somewhat poor high-frequency performance which may be why it won't
produce the long arc of the smooth sphere.  The longer arcs may be drawing
too much high frequency power for a rough terminal to supply.  The long
roaming arc is obviously getting the power and current it needs.
        Theoretically, a copper sphere with a light gold plating (to prevent
oxidation) would be able to perform at high frequencies with minimal
problems.  This would probably be best for the long arcs.  Of course, the
many small arcs may be more pleasing to some in which case the rougher foil
type electrodes would be preferable.

Thanks for you great input.

        Terry Fritz