[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Strange events and me coil unexplained

Hey everyone,
   Last night I ran my 6.5" coil at approximatly 5 Kw. 14.4 Kv. My air
choaks melted. They were wound with 18 AWG insulated wire. Even the PVC
core melted and twisted. How is this possible, there should only be
millamps on the HV side ? My capacitance has also increased. I made
these caps over a year ago. Each cap is .026 uf. I have 4 in the
circuit, two each in parallel and then these two circuits are in series.
Ordinarly I'm taped out with the large top load at the 13 th. or 14th.
turn. Last night I had to tap in to the 9th. turn ! A few weeks ago I
move the coil outside and noticed that I had to tap in. I attributed
this to ground clutter. Could the caps still be setteling ?
The calculated value of these caps were .026 uf. They had a measured
value of about .024 uf. They are poly plate caps. Does anyone have
anyone have any ideas about the RF choaks or the the caps ?

thanks,
paul m