[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

transformer quandary

     hello from rainy Portland!  here's my dilemma:
many years ago I picked up a power supply for a rf amp.the main
transformer must weight a 100lbs and is enclosed in a sealed metal case
that is about a cubic foot or so. 12x12x10 ...the primary is dual input
        here's my best e-mail schematic:
141v     o------| |
115v     o------| |
com      o----- | |-----O
                | |              sec. 4800volts-at- 425ma with 115v on 115v

                | | --o         and 5780volts -at-350ma with 115v on the 141v
                | |   c.t.       tap. center tapped
141v      o-----| |------O
115v      o-----| |
com       o-----| |

it also has a note saying the primary insulation is rated to 400v to ground
and the secondary is rated to 8000v to ground.

my questions:
1) is the 5000v or so from the sec high enough for a tesla
   coil?  its seem I have heard the 7500v figure as a lower useful limit.
2) dual pri. input...... is this actually just a 230 volt feed or
   two transformers effectively in parallel with the total
   kva equal to the above?
3) will a voltage amplifier help me out say a doubler or
   maybe a tripler ---(is unfiltered dc ok for tc use?)
4) can I just increase the primary input voltage? or use
   combo of input tap like from 115/141 as input with
   current limiting.......? 240 into one leg of the pri?
5) will I need to have a PFC cap?  or two?

any and all suggestions will be appreciated .... thanks!!

 Robert Cressler
 oregon city,ore.