[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: High-Bandwidth Primary Circuit Behavior (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 98 14:59:06 EDT
From: Gary Lau  28-Apr-1998 1428 <lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: High-Bandwidth Primary Circuit Behavior

>From: terryf-at-verinet-dot-com
>Hi All,
>        I have been spending most of my time looking at primary circuits with
>my probe system.  As a result, I have written another paper that tells about
>what I have seen so far.
>The HTML and the original Word97 documents are at:
>  http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/experiments/experiments.html

Fascinating stuff!  It would seem that the simple models we've assumed
for a gap's behavior, being one continuous conduction for the duration of
the primary ringdown, is far more complex, opening up with each
zero gap current crossing and ringing each time.

For the experiment involving "good" and "bad" tank wiring, did you scope
the ringdown envelope for each?  If the "bad" envelope is much shorter,
that would quantify and add even more weight to the obvious need for
"good" tank wiring.

During the gap zero current crossings and resulting HF ringing, I can't
tell what the gap voltage is doing.  Does this have implications towards
how one ought to protect their NST's?

Now, if only someone knew how to create a Spice model for this mysterious
gap...

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA