[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pig Terminology (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 10:15:11 -0700
From: Eric Davidson <edavidson-at-icva.gov>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Pig Terminology (fwd)

Hi all!

 Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 16:02:20 -0500
 From: Jeff Corr <corr-at-enid-dot-com>
 To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>I have a description of a couple of pigs that are available, but I am
>confused, and would like to get a translation from those that are
>more familiar with the beast:
>Primary is listed as 14400/24940Y, there is an impeadance listed,
>and for taps, there are (+, -, N, J) listed.
>I am trying to translate this notation.> >Specifically: what is the 24940Y?
>              What are the various tap listing mean?
>              I assume - is none, but perhaps that is what N is?

> I think this means that 14.4kv goes in, 24.9kv comes out.
> I have seen them listed this way on most pages, this trannie
> would have a 1:2 ratio not suitable for coil use.

Sorry Jeff, you are incorrect, the 14400/24940Y means the transformer
can be used in a Y connected bank on a 24940 volt line. In this
connection there is 14400 volts across each of the three transformers.
(24940/sqrt3=14400). Ratio is 14400/240/120. See my previous post on
this transformer, if you like.

> >the 3KVA unit could be run at as high as 6KVA, yes?

> No.

Sorry, yes.  Even a 3 kVA unit is under rated sufficiently (and has
large enough thermal mass) to supply a 100% overload for short periods
of time.

> >[Or should I just bite the bullet, and live with the larger
> >size of the 5KVA unit?]
>
> 3kVA will be smaller, easier to move, and more "portable" for
> demostrations.  With the larger size, you cross the "line" between
> running in any house to the point of blowing everyone's 20 amp breaker.

I would say that there is not that much difference between 3 and 5 kVA
units weight-wise. I don't get this 'line' you are talking about.
Blowing everyones 20 amp breaker?? Put the 5 kVA unit on a 60 amp
breaker, use some current limiting ballast, and go with it. Hope this
helps.

Eric Davidson
edavidson-at-icva.gov