[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

circuit diagram for pole-pig

From: 	Rodney Davies[SMTP:rgd872-at-anu.edu.au]
Sent: 	Friday, June 27, 1997 11:00 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	circuit diagram for pole-pig

Hi All,

Um, for those who have used (or do use) pole-pig transformers, I'm
interested to know the tesla coil circuit diagram which uses a
single-phase (2 big HV insulators) pole-pig transformer (5KVA+).

I currently have a Single Wire Earth Return (SWER) type at the moment and
have a diagram for it, however, in the next few months I'll be obtaining a
single phase type which is much safer to use as it has a floating earth.

Question regarding the single-phase type circuit, where do the capacitors
go? That is, does there have to be capacitors on either side of the HV
transformer, or can you have them on one side only, like you do with a
SWER?

In my own opinion, I think that to balance things out nicely, since both
sides of your transformer are "hot" then it would be an idea to place
capacitors on each side... Then, how do you work out the capacitance you
need to put on each side?

Say if a 5KVA 12KV SWER requires 0.1uF of capacitance in total, then
obviously so would a single-phase pole-pig of the same rating. However,
unlike a SWER, do you put 0.1uF capacitors on either side, or just have
one capacitor of 0.1uF on one side?

Hmmm, one to think on...

Thanks !

Rod