[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 60 vs. 30 ma

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Thursday, June 26, 1997 2:21 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: 60 vs. 30 ma

On Monday, June 23, 1997 3:11 PM Dan Engle
[SMTP:DEngle-at-NJAOST.ML-dot-com] wrote;

> I'm not trying to beat a dead-horse here, but I'm trying to see this in
> layman's terms.  Feel free to correct me...  If you say that current is
> the quantity of electrons(for example, the size of a river-i.e. the
> bigger the more water) and voltage is the "pressure"(the speed),

Pressure and speed are totally different and unrelated things!

> then wouldn't increasing either basically charge the capacitor faster?
> Wouldn't doubling the current(increasing the size of the river) or
> increasing the voltage(increasing the flow of the water) have the same
> effect?

NO! Perhaps a different analogy will clarify things. Try thinking of
electricity as a gas and the amount of gas is the current and the
pressure of the gas is the voltage. Using this analogy a capacitor
would be a storage tank. if you had 1000 cubic feet of gas in a
container and connected it to a 1 cubic foot cylinder and the gas was
under 1 atmosphere of pressure then the cylinder would hold 1 cubic
feet of gas. You could have 100,000 cubic feet of gas connected to
that same cylinder and it still will only hold 1 cubic feet of gas.
BUT if you increase the pressure to say 10 atmospheres THEN you would
be forcing more gas into the cylinder.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/