[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Power vs. Spark Length

From: 	John H. Couture[SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent: 	Sunday, July 27, 1997 11:47 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Power vs. Spark Length

At 05:48 AM 7/26/97 +0000, you wrote:

> [...]

  John F. -

  It appears that very few coilers are interested in a controlled spark
length so this concept should probably be abandoned.

  Finding the efficiency of a TC is a different matter. Efficiency is enegy
out divided by energy in. This can be done from the engineering or
scientific standpoint if the proper test methods are used.

  It should be noted, however, that most coilers are satisfied with watching
the TC sparks. Very few are willing to expend the effort to do the testing
and learn how a TC works.

  I am interested in adapting engineering design to TCs of all sizes and
types. This pursuit requires a lot of test data from real world coils
because TC design is empirical as my engineering text states. The problem is
while there are plenty of completed coils available only a handfull of
coilers will tests their coils except for spark length. You are one of the
exceptions.

  For me it is now three TC books and a computer program later. However, I
feel there is still plenty more to do. At present none of the big coil
builders have ever written a book or published TC data in tabular or
graphical form for different sizes of coils. The reason for this is obvious.
Sparks are more fun and draw more attention.

  John Couture