[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor Explosion

You wrote:

>Gents,
>If CP is not honoring warranty's, I certainly would not order anything
>else from them. In fact a pissin contest with their reps would be in
>order.  While my caps have been without problems, I am following with
>great interest how CP is handling the problems some are experienceing.
>Glenn

6/30/96

To All,

I called PC the day after my cap blew.  At first the secretary did not
want to handle my call, but after a few minutes Mr. Feilding came to
the phone.  I explained what had happened to him.  He was quite
defensive and incredulous about a CP cap blowing.  He offered a litany
of user related reasons that could have caused the cap to blow.  Such
as, the cap had laid too long on one side allowing the oil to drain
down and creat a dry area on the top or that my TC system set up may
have caused the explosion, etc.!!  Their attitude is the customer must
have done something wrong causing the cap to blow and, excluding that,
they will check it to see if it's a CP problem.  Never did he address a
possible Condensor Product reason for the failure.

I questioned him about the cap being tightly sealed and in essence
becoming a bomb.  I offered that Ed's cap had suffered a similar
explosion  He was a little taken aback that I had this knowledge and
was evasive on this issue.

He said send the cap back and they would check it.  I countered that I
would first have someone examine it nondistructivly before I sent it
back.  He was not happy with this suggestion.

I mentioned that I had injuries to my lower extremities from the
explosion.  He became more insistant that the cap be sent back.  Later
in the day an unsolicited call came from Nationwide Insurance, CP's
carrier.  The agent wanted me to file a claim regarding my injuries.  I
explained that it would be imprudent to file an injury claim at this
point.  The agent then offered a multitude of reasons why the cap
should be immediately sent back to CP.  The oil would drain out and the
cap would appear dry and interfere with testing, etc.  Actually, the
oil is out already.  It's all over my garage!

Gents, my dealing with CP and their cap so far has been less than
satisfactory.  They billed and waranteed their cap as being able
withstand TC use, but when it failed on a very small system, they are
quite defensive and uncooperative.  I will allow them to evaluate the
cap, but on my schedule and I will retain physical posession of the cap
afterward.  And no, I will not accept a replacement that will not vent
excessive internal pressure safely.

I emailed Scott Meyers and cancelled my new cap order.  He promised to
refund my money.  I also emailed Kevin Conkey about the dangers of
these tighly sealed caps that in essence become bombs, if and when,
they arc internally.  Also, if they explode and someone is injured
(blinded) or killed, not only is CP liable but so is he and probable
Delco since he is their agent and uses their email.  All are
forewarned.

In the future, I will follow R. Hull's advice and method of ordering
commercial caps.  He has never had one blow dispite the rigorous
treatment with which he punishes them.

RWW